- sets out the principles 3M follows when collecting, using, disclosing, retaining and removing personal data; and
- describes other important topics relating to an individual’s privacy.
By purchasing goods from 3M, communicating with 3M through email, by telephone, in writing or by using any of 3M’s other services, including the 3M website, or by providing personal data to us, you agree to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal data in the manner described in this policy.
The type of personal data that 3M may collect from individuals will depend upon the particular transaction and the dealing. Normally the personal data collected by 3M may include an individual’s:
- name, title, address;
- personal identification and/or passport number;
- telephone number;
- email address and online passwords;
- records of communications with 3M;
- responses to market surveys and contests conducted by 3M or on 3M’s behalf;
- credit card or debit card information;
- camera or video footage that identifies individuals (including CCTV footage);
- website usage information.
3M only collects, uses and discloses personal data with an individual’s consent or deemed consent or as otherwise permitted under the PDPA or other applicable laws and regulations.
Personal Data will, generally, only be collected and used for the primary purposes of:
- conducting, improving, maintaining and developing a business relationship.
- processing, servicing or enforcing transactions and sending related communications;
- identification and verification purposes in connection with any of the services or products that may be supplied to individuals;
- responding to individual’s queries;
- administering contests or market surveys conducted by 3M or on 3M’s behalf
- marketing (such as providing individuals with information about our products and promotional notices and offers); and
- improving the 3M’s website.
3M takes reasonable steps to ensure the individual is aware of:
- the likely use of the information;
- the means of requesting 3M on the provision of personal data that is in the possession of 3M;
- the means of withdrawing any consent in respect of the collection, use or disclosure of the personal data that is in the possession of 3M;
- the identity and contact details of the organisation;
- any law requiring collection of the information; and
- the main consequences of failure to provide the information.
3M discloses personal data:
- for the primary purpose for which it was collected; or
- for purposes that a reasonable person will consider appropriate in the circumstances; or
- where the individual has consented; or
- for direct marketing by 3M where consent has been given but giving individuals the opportunity to opt out of such direct marketing. 3M includes its contact details in any direct marketing; or
- where permitted under the PDPA or other applicable law or if required by law.
3M does not disclose your personal data for any secondary purposes unless your consent has been given or if so permitted or required under the PDPA or other applicable laws and regulations.
3M will not sell or license any personal data that it collects from an individual.
There may be other situations where we may collect and use personal data, which are outside a person’s reasonable expectation. When this occurs, 3M is committed to providing the individual with an explanation for the possible use of the personal data when asking for the individual’s consent.
3M takes steps to ensure information is accurate and up-to-date by updating its records whenever changes to information come to its attention. 3M disregards information which seems, on a reasonable basis, be inaccurate or out of date by reason of the time which has elapsed since it was collected or by reason of any other information in its possession.
If an individual has submitted personal data to 3M electronically or otherwise, and would like it corrected, then a written request should be sent by email to the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or to the address below.
3M will comply with an individual’s request to correct their personal data as soon as practicable.
If 3M disagrees with any request to correct an individual’s personal data on reasonable grounds, 3M shall annotate the personal data with the correction that was requested but not made.
An individual may withdraw his consent for the collection, use or disclosure of personal data by giving 3M reasonable notice by sending a written request (a) by email to the Privacy Officer at email@example.com or (b) to the address below. 3M shall inform the individual of the likely consequences of the withdrawal of the consent. 3M will cease to collect, use or disclose the personal data upon such withdrawal unless otherwise permitted or required by the PDPA or other applicable laws and regulations.
As with most websites, when you visit the 3M website or use an application on the 3M website, 3M may record anonymous information such as IP address (where not used to identify a specific individual), time, date, referring URL, pages accessed and documents downloaded, type of browser and operating system.
3M also uses “cookies”. A cookie is a small file that stays on your computer until, depending on whether it is a sessional or persistent cookie, you turn your computer off or it expires. Cookies may collect and store your personal data. You may adjust your internet browser to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled you may still use the 3M website 3M, but may be limited in the use of some of the features.
3M will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal data is securely stored.
3M protects personal data from misuse or loss by restricting access to the information in electronic format and by appropriate physical and communications security.
Any data destroyed is disposed of in a manner that protects the privacy of personal data in an appropriate manner.
3M takes all reasonable steps to ensure that all unsolicited information is destroyed immediately.
If an individual wishes to be provided with information regarding their Personal Data that is in the possession or under the control of 3M or the ways in which such Personal Data has been used or disclosed by 3M in the year preceding such request, then that person needs to send a written request by email to the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or to the address as detailed below. 3M will handle such requests as soon as reasonably possible in accordance with the PDPA.
3M allows individuals the option not to identify themselves when dealing with it, where practicable.
Any personal data provided to 3M may be transferred to, stored by or disclosed to an overseas recipient. For example, 3M may use a server hosted overseas to store data, which may include your personal data.
Your personal data may also be processed by employees or by other third parties operating outside of Singapore, who work for 3M, or by the representatives and employees of 3M’s parent company.
3M will take reasonable steps, in the circumstances, before your personal data is disclosed to an overseas recipient, to ensure that the overseas recipient provide a standard of protection to personal data so transferred that is comparable to the protection under the PDPA.
3M complies with all provisions regarding the DNC Registry under the PDPA.